Friday, October 10, 2008

Some pictures from Mom's Memorial























Gran suggested we go to the Farmington cemetery and I thought that was a lovely idea being that so many of our family members were buried there, lived near there and I even found out that it is in the shadow of a some beautiful mountains called "Steed Canyon". (How's that for a very non-Gran sentence? ha ha) I promise I won't keep posting on here but I thought Gran/Grandma Shirley/Mom/DrSue would like to have these pictures anyway.
We walked around looking at different special names, talked about them and got to know our past family members a little better..then when everyone was there and accounted for, we started our little service for mom. We couldn't get a hold of Kirsten (sad) and of course, Ben couldn't be there but we were really glad we could reach Jonathan and Nathaniel. Even better, Gran realized that Nathaniel was the only one who could actually visit Mom's grave so we called earlier in the day and asked him if he'd be willing to pick her up some flowers and put them on her grave..and to be there around 5pm. So after we sang a few songs that we felt might be important to her, I felt like I should say a prayer. I was kind of embarrassed but I felt like I should say something for each child- like to ask a little blessing on each person and their corresponding families. It was hard, it was beautiful..I wouldn't change it for the world. Elisabeth said on her blog about how neat it was for all of us to be standing there, listening to that prayer..in the rain, on the grass...just a feeling I don't think any of us will ever forget. Im so glad Gran had each of the daughters she had..every one of them has meant so much to all of us- but of course, this one in particular to 9 of us. Its hard to believe 20 years has gone by and yet its not hard to believe at all...
Anyway..I'll let Gran do more posting on it when and if she feels like it later. (all you have to do Gran is click "edit posts" and then click on "edit" next to the one that says "draft" in red and you can add a story with the cute picture we already added) We started on one for Mom/Carol that day but we didn't have time to finish it.
By the way- the flowers Nathaniel chose were Lilacs...nice choice for someone who didn't know how much she liked them. Thank you again Nathaniel- I know it meant a lot to Mom.
(lots of the pics were taken by Anne too, thank goodness or I wouldn't have been in any of them OR had a chance to just enjoy spending time with everyone- thank you Anne!)











3 comments:

christianne said...

Becca, thank you for posting the pictures and telling us what it was like that day in the rain. It helps to feel like I was there too!

Gran/Grandma Shirley/Mom is in Nauvoo right now enjoying being with Larry and Dolly.

Thank you to all of you for making my mom's life so fulfilled right now. You are such a blessing to her.

I NEVER noticed before, until these pictures, how much of the Italian side Lis carries. My goodness it's like looking at Grandma Ollie's side of the family. What do you think Cathy.

love to you all and thank you again

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY agree about Lisbedef..she is the one shining Italiano..okay, Jon too...but mostly Elisabeth. No offense to Kirsten, our other dark haired maven- but she has a different look to me.
I forgot Gran was in Nauvoo! She'll have lots of fun stuff to share when she returns, Im sure.
Im so glad you liked the post :)Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think we all needed that little remembrance time... I know I appreciated the blessing on our family and I'm sure the rest of us do as well, even the ones who didn't hear theirs! ;) It is hard to believe she's been gone 20 years, but I know that every one of the days in those years I've thought of her and I'm sad to say I'm still grieving a little. I don't know if I'll stop grieving, but I do know that the hope of seeing her again sure makes me work harder at being better in my life. I think it was President Ucdorf (sp?) who spoke in conference about how the power of hope can carry us through when times are hard. I can't think of a better way to put how I get through some days...